Senior Consultants at Stratos lead and contribute to successful consulting engagements, support marketing and business management, and actively contribute to the internal growth and development of our team, our systems and our culture. Based on their professional expertise, Senior Consultants typically focus on a particular Stratos sector/impact area, but can adapt to support other areas when needed – versatility and cross-fertilization across business lines is an important factor underlying Stratos’ success.
Our Senior Consultant, Science, Innovation and Clean Economy Programs will manage and contribute to a wide range of public and private sector change projects focused on the design and delivery of complex policies, programs, and initiatives. Your work will enable capacity building initiatives that bring multi-stakeholder teams – including government, industry, finance community, indigenous organizations, and the public – together. Stratos does not provide engineering or scientific services, but technical knowledge and skills strengthen our work in several sector and services areas including contaminated sites management, clean energy, climate change adaptation, and risk management.
The Senior Consultant, SICE Programs is accountable for:
- Providing expertise and advice around the SICE ecosystem in Canada and globally to lead projects that help our clients deepen collaborative, clean and inclusive science, research and innovation initiatives, including as it relates to activities to deepen reconciliation, equity, diversity and inclusion in these projects
- Managing all aspects of projects, including developing work plans, tracking performance against budgets, leading project teams and liaising directly with clients
- Completing required research, interviews, and facilitating multi-stakeholder workshops, then synthesizing collected data and information to prepare clear and compelling reports and presentations that contribute to the successful completion of a consulting engagement
- Contributing to business development and marketing activities in the firm by activating your own network, extending this network over time, and preparing client proposals
- Supporting internal initiatives and practices that contribute to the growth and diversity of Stratos as a firm and as a team
Your Opportunity for Growth
Stratos offers a truly impactful work experience with opportunities to grow, lead and contribute to areas that matter to you.
- Your impact may be felt personally – leading a project from start to finish, or through working as part of a bright, dynamic team with a good work-life balance.
- Your work will also impact Stratos’ success – you can help shape our business strategy, develop an approach to a new market, or develop learning sessions for our company retreat.
- Lastly (and most significantly), you will impact the ability of Stratos’ clients to deliver on their mandates. We work with a wide variety of organizations whose work can significantly enhance or impede sustainability and our collective pursuit of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Your work at Stratos will help them shape and better fulfil their important visions.
You have education and experience related to public sector management. Science and innovation experience, real property climate change solutions and / or arctic science and innovation are strong assets. Knowledge of one or more of the following areas is also an asset: Clean Technology, CCUS, Climate Change, Circular Economy, Electrification, Agriculture
Practical experience in change management, organizational effectiveness, and/or gender-based analysis (GBA+) are valuable assets.
Education and Experience
- Engineering degree and/or Masters level degree required in a discipline related to natural resource management or sustainability, public sector management, or business administration
- At least five years’ experience working with or in public administration or government to advance sustainability clean economy, or other environmental sustainability initiatives
- Strong knowledge of cleantech or climatetech-related initiatives, companies, and programs and how these can be applied within
- Previous consulting experience is highly desirable
- A project management designation is an asset, but demonstrated ability to manage projects of different size and scope is also acceptable
Skills and Attributes
Stratos is looking for team members who:
- Are experienced working both independently and as a team member
- Collaborate naturally, are dependable and flexible
- Take a proactive and long-term approach to solving problems and creating value for both our organization and our clients
- Maintain a network of relationships and can comfortably discuss ideas for follow on work with clients that will increase the value provided by Stratos
- Demonstrate a positive, confident approach when working with others
- Demonstrate a growth mindset and keen interest and ability to learn new skills and knowledge, applying and integrating on an ongoing basis
Your skills include:
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking capability, able to collect and synthesize large amounts of information and discern what is important
- Ability to identify clear decisions or recommendations that may emerge from meeting discussions and/or research, including for executive audiences
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills (in speaking and writing), as evidenced by clear and respectful communications with colleagues and clients, including when asking questions to challenge the status quo or providing challenging messages to clients
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple client/stakeholder deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to manage projects and teams, and clients, including developing and monitoring budgets, timelines, product quality, and internal project status communication
- Ability to plan and facilitate effective and inclusive meetings and workshops that engage all parties and generate outputs and outcomes that meet the established objectives
- Working knowledge of French is an asset
- Facilitation accreditation or equivalent experience is a strong asset
- Experience with developing data solutions and online applications is an asset (but secondary to the above)
Headquartered in Ottawa, Stratos is a management consultancy specializing in environmental, social and governance issues. We work across the space between government, industry, Indigenous peoples, and NGOs to collaborate and support them in developing the ideas, strategies and tools they need to solve large scale, non-linear, complex problems.
We offer transformative yet practical solutions. We know when to listen and when to ask the right questions. We have the courage to go off script, to trust ourselves, to trust each other and trust the process. We achieve results by understanding the context, making connections, integrating perspectives, and designing solutions that promote sustainability, diversity and inclusion.
With over 20 years of experience, we have the ability to understand and balance different stakeholder perspectives and needs, providing sound advice that is supported by a practical implementation plan. We are at our best when co-creating solutions with our clients and stakeholders.
To Join the Stratos Team
Email your cover letter and CV in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message before Monday May 17 at 5:00 p.m. EST. Please be sure to provide some insight into your experience, skills and achievements, and how you plan to contribute toward the success of our firm.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request.