Consultants at Stratos lead and contribute to successful consulting engagements, support marketing and business management, and actively contribute to the internal growth and development of our team, our systems and our culture. Based on their professional expertise, Consultants typically focus on a particular Stratos sector/impact area, but can adapt to support other areas when needed – versatility and cross-fertilization across business lines is an important factor underlying Stratos’ success.
Our Consultant, Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) will manage and contribute to a wide range of projects that promote how organizations address and integrate their ESG risks and opportunities into a business strategy. You bring a detailed understanding of current and emerging standards and leading practices to support existing consulting relationships, creating new opportunities for the team, and advancing our internal practices.
The Consultant, Environmental, Social & Governance is accountable for:
- Contributing to successful development of ESG strategies and programs for Stratos clients
- Creating background materials, conducting research and literature reviews, and participating in data collection activities such as interviews and surveys
- Contributing to business development and marketing activities in the firm through conducting research on client needs, preparing marketing presentations, and participating in proposal preparation
- Supporting internal initiatives and practices that contribute to the growth and diversity of Stratos as a firm and as a team by participating in Stratos committees and corporate functions, or coordinating internal teams
Your Opportunity for Growth
Stratos offers a truly impactful work experience with opportunities to grow, lead and contribute to areas that matter to you.
- Your impact may be felt personally – leading a project from start to finish, or through working as part of a bright, dynamic team with a good work-life balance.
- Your work will also impact Stratos’ success – you can help shape our business strategy, develop an approach to a new market, or develop learning sessions for our company retreat.
- Lastly (and most significantly), you will impact the ability of Stratos’ clients to deliver on their mandates. We work with a wide variety of organizations whose work can significantly enhance or impede sustainability and our collective pursuit of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Your work at Stratos will help them shape and better fulfil their important visions.
Preferably you have education and experience relating to sustainability and natural resource management.
Education and Experience
- Master’s level, or Bachelor level degree with some related experience, is required in a discipline related to natural resource management or sustainability
- A broad understanding of business sustainability and resiliency, identifying the underlying ESG factors at project, site, company or city, sector, and geographic region to work directly with clients to develop strategies and actionable programs that deliver real outcomes
- Experience with external sustainability reporting frameworks and standards (e.g. Global Reporting Initiative, SASB, CDP, TCFD, UNSDGs), monitoring trends, and evaluating changes/impacts
- Professional experience providing advisory and practical support in embedding sustainability (and ESG) within organizations and projects; some relevant work experience with or in the resource or environmental management is an asset
- Previous consulting experience or having held a corporate sustainability role is highly desirable
Skills and Attributes
Stratos is looking for team members who:
- Practical, purposeful and simple skills to meet client requirements
- Are experienced working both independently and as a team member
- Collaborate naturally, are dependable and flexible
- Demonstrate a positive, confident approach when working with others
Your skills include:
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking capability, able to collect and synthesize large amounts of information and discern what is important
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills (in speaking and writing), as evidenced by clear and respectful communications with colleagues and clients
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple client/stakeholder deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to follow instructions and proactively approach Project Managers with questions and/or to seek clarification
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly for different audiences
- Proven record of effective time management and ability to meet deadlines
- Strong facilitation and engagement experience is considered an asset
- Working knowledge of French is an asset
Headquartered in Ottawa with team members located all across Canada, Stratos Inc. is one of Canada’s leading management consultancies focused on the intersection of natural resources and sustainability. We are trusted advisors, researchers, strategists, integrators and facilitators. We have a strong and credible reputation, in both governmental and corporate circles, for providing objective and realistic services and advice and producing high-quality products. Specialized in collaborative problem-solving, we work across all levels of government, business and civil society.
To Join the Stratos Team
Email your cover letter and CV in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message anytime. Please be sure to provide some insight into your experience, skills and achievements, and how you plan to contribute toward the success of our firm.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request.