Stefan is a cross-disciplinary analyst, advisor and risk management specialist. Trained as a civil engineer, with a focus on the environment and water resource management, Stefan brings technical insight and experience to Stratos’s management and strategic advice.
“I enjoy helping clients address the technical, management and community realities of their business,” he says.
Stefan works primarily in the mining and energy sectors, providing his private and public sector clients with a range of services, including: risk management; socio-economic strategy, planning and reporting; sustainability program design and implementation; and stakeholder mapping.
As technical lead at Stratos, Stefan has led a number of studies to inform policy, protocols and management approaches on such issues as shadow carbon pricing, climate change risk in mining and water stewardship.
He has also played a key role in designing and implementing a risk management framework for a large portfolio of abandoned mine sites in Canada’s north.
“I’m proud of the work Stratos has done to help the Canadian government manage abandoned mine sites in Canada’s north,” Stefan says.
Joined Stratos: 2004
Specialty: Designing, implementing and facilitating processes and risk management approaches that combine management, strategy and technical content; leading research studies and reviews on key environmental issues
Prior Work Experience:
- Environmental Engineer, Franz Environmental Inc.
- Master of Applied Science, Civil Engineering (Environmental option), University of Toronto, 2000
- BaSc., Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo, 1996
- Alliance for Water Stewardship (AWS): “Foundations of Water Stewardship,” “Advanced Training in the AWS Standard,” “AWS Specialist Training”
What Stefan offers:
Trained as a civil and environmental engineer, Stefan brings a technical understanding and advanced analytical skills to his projects, particularly those combining policy, management and technical content.
Stefan’s areas of practice include:
- Risk management
- Socio-economic strategy, planning and reporting
- Sustainability program design and implementation
- Stakeholder mapping
He has extensive experience supporting industry associations to develop protocols and standards in such areas as land management, biodiversity, water stewardship, and carbon/energy management.
For these engagements, Stefan has conducted reviews and benchmarking studies of global standards and practices as well as issues-specific management reviews and risk analyses. He has also designed and run interview programs with industry stakeholders and company representatives and facilitated working group processes.
Stefan has also led a number of research studies and reviews to inform policies, strategies and management approaches on a range of environmental issues, including climate change impacts on acid-rock drainage, water stewardship in mining, and shadow carbon pricing in the Canadian energy sector.
For the public sector, Stefan has focused on providing policy, management and implementation support to the Canadian federal government related to mine closure and contaminated sites.
Stefan’s clients have included:
- Industry associations such as the Mining Association of Canada, the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
- Government departments and programs such as the Mining Environment Neutral Drainage program (Natural Resources Canada) and the National Roundtable on Environment and Economy (NRTEE)
- Canadian and international companies in the mining and energy sectors.
Stefan is an avid cyclist – for pleasure, exercise and commuting – so it stands to reason that the one thing he can’t live without is his bikes!