Regime & Regulatory Excellence
Supporting regulatory practice evolutions through meaningful engagement and collaboration, organizational excellence and application of learnings across jurisdictions and sectors.
- STRATEGY & PLANNING
- CONVENING, ENGAGEMENT & FACILITATION
- GOVERNANCE, ORGANIZATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS & CHANGE MANAGEMENT
- DIGITAL SOLUTIONS
RELATED INDUSTRIES & CLIENTS
- NORTHERN REGULATORY & CO-MANAGEMENT BOARDS
- FEDERAL, PROVINCIAL/TERRITORIAL REGULATORS
- INDUSTRY ASSOCIATIONS
Regulation is the important tool we use to protect public interests. As we increasingly focus on a greater number of interconnected environmental, social and economic priorities – globally and within Canada – regulators are at the heart of addressing a number of complex issues. Although regulation is used to address externalities, regulators – as part of broader systems – also play a key role in enabling solutions and transitions (such as promoting well-being or competitiveness and transitioning to a clean economy). Continuous improvement in regulatory practice, in support of both effective and efficient regulation, is key to navigating complexity and an evolving set of connected priorities and challenges.
Drawing on our knowledge of regulatory systems and regimes, Stratos provides pragmatic organizational advice to support effective and efficient regulatory practice in complex environments. We have worked within each of Canada’s northern regulatory regimes and have been proud to facilitate annual gatherings of northern impact assessment and licencing boards. We work with Federal regulators to support effective engagement and organizational practices across a range of topics including major project development, wildlife management, chemicals management and plastics. Our many years of working with industry to develop and implement voluntary performance improvement programs and initiatives (e.g., mineral development, energy, forestry and agriculture sectors) has also given us a strong understanding of regulated sectors.
Stratos leverages its experience to contribute to studies, papers and fora aimed at strengthening regulatory practice and we have been proud collaborators with practitioners and academics including at Carleton University’s Regulatory Governance Initiative. Recent work includes:
- Supporting the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board with the development of a perspectives paper on Evolving Environmental Impact Assessments in the Mackenzie Valley and Beyond.
- Undertaking an exploratory study to identify regulatory efficiency indicators that would support deployment of clean technologies, in partnership with Michael Presley of the Regulatory Governance Initiative
- Undertaking a comprehensive review of energy regulators to inform the work of the NEB Modernization Expert Panel, in partnership with Michael Presley and Bob Slater of the Regulatory Governance Initiative
Over the last five years, I’ve been pleased to collaborate with Stratos on two regulatory studies for the Federal government: a comparative analysis of energy regulators, and an examination of regulatory efficiency indicators to support deployment of clean technology. Stratos brings valuable knowledge and insights to these studies. I have also appreciated the thoughtful observations, insights and advice their team has shared with cohorts of the Career Development for Regulatory Professionals program at Carleton University and the Certificate Program in Regulatory Leadership at the University of Ottawa, showcasing best practices for regulators and integrating lessons from Stratos’s broader body of work.”